Farmer's Daughter

Farmer's Daughter
Made summer 2009

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Confessions???

I am not so sure I should say "confessions." I used to hide my quilting hobby because I was afraid folks would not accept that in my spare time I cut cloth into pieces and sewed it back together into a quilt. That was almost 20 years ago.

Today, I am quite proud of the fact that I am a quilter. Yes, I was influenced by my maternal grandmother and a neighbor to begin quilting. I put aside thoughts of quilting for many years. I did craft, though.

In 1995, I'd had enough. I bought my Husqvarna Viking, some fall themed fabric, grabbed a quilt pattern, and took off. For the most part, I am self-taught. Having a background in education, it wasn't difficult to read and understand the process. Of course, not long after starting quilting, I discovered Simply Quilts! Alex Anderson and the cadre of teachers set me free to soar as a quilter.

And today???? I'm so hungry. There's so many quilts I'd like to make and create. Quilting is my major stress-reliever after a long day at work. I live for quilt retreats! I buy fabric. I won't cut it for months.

My quilting goal for 2011: sew curved seams. Yes, I have never sewn a curved seam. I have a pattern for a quilt similar to a New York Beauty. Going to give it a whirl!

No comments:

Post a Comment